Sunday, April 6, 2014

A Night at Gurudwara Paonta Sahib

A Night at Gurudwara Paonta Sahib

I heard about Paonta Sahib when I was travelling to Hemkund Sahib. I read about history of Gurudwara on internet, checked location map and routes to reach there. The desire to visit the shrine had grown up and the day came after two and half years later.

Paonta Sahib is in Himachal Pradesh on bank of river Yamuna. Other Side of river is another North Indian State of Uttrakhand.  Bus plying on Chandigarh-Dehradun route passes by Paonta Sahib. It took three hours for State Roadways bus from Sector 43, Chandigarh to reach to Paonta Sahib.  The bus crawled from crowded lanes of Tri-Cities, flew on planes of Haryana,  and lastly; moved quietly on foothills of Himalaya. I was travelling first time on this route. Green forests of Himalaya on both sides of road created mesmerizing feelings. Winter has started, temperature were reducing but day was still pleasant. Heat of sunlight produced warmth in human body.

Magnificent Gurudwara situated on bank of River Yamuna. Building was large enough to accommodate hundreds of pilgrims. I cleaned my hands, face and went for pray in Darbar. Picturesque view of flowing river was beautiful. Food at Langar hall was delicious. Prasada ( Wheat flour Chapatti) served with daal (lentils) , pickle, chai and dessert halwa was yummy and nutritious. I registered for night stay in Gurudwara. Sleeping hall had 12 beds with neat and clean blankets. Six were occupied for that night. My companions came from different parts of India. We talked for some time, shared our experience of journey to other famous Gurudwaras. I slept while listening to other guys. Journey was not so long but it was tiring and I felt low on energy.

I woke up early in Morning. Completed Nitya Karmas, took bath in cold waters, got ready and went for morning prayer in Darbar. Sun was arising and I wanted to welcome the day.  I clicked photos of River, Sun and Gurudwara. Sun arising from Himalayas, Steady flowing water of Yamuna and White carpet like fog; it was charming, beautiful and pleasant view.

Rising Sun. View from Gurudwara Paonta Sahib

River Yamuna, Himalaya Foothills and floating fog in a Morning of December at Gurudwara Paonta Sahib

Gurudwara has historical and spiritual significance of linkage with tenth Guru. Guru Gobind Ji had lived there and compiled verses of Granth Sahib. History written on stone, a museum describing the history of Sikh religion and weapons of Guruji described the importance of place. Kavi Darbar a venue to hold poetry competitions was in backyard of Gurudwara. A temple dedicated to Yamuna Devi showed devotion to river, which brings life to place. 

Stairs in backyard lead to Yamuna Ghat but gate was closed. Entry from inside was not allowed. I used outer path to reach the Yamuna Ghat. A board displayed there mentioned, how unsafe was to take a dip in river. Number of people drowned in that particular place were written yearly. I paid my devotion to temple there. I had my Brunch in langar hall, bought few books and departed for Chandigarh.

Travel Guide: Bus from ISBT, Kashmere Gate depart for Paonta Sahib. Bus from Chandigarh to Dehradun pass from City. Buses from Ambala or Yamunanagr also departs for Paonta Sahib.

Nearest Places: Gurudwara Bhangnani Sahib






No comments:

Post a Comment